What documents do you need to provide?
Please consult our list of documents specified for each country.
If you find our instructions unclear, please send your question by e-mail, naming the credential in its original language.
Do not send us scanned documents to obtain a preliminary assessment, since this work is an essential part of our fee-bearing service. We cannot judge documents but as a coherent body and in the material form of the required copies. Please send us only the documents named specifically for each country. If something is missing, you will be informed by e-mail accordingly.
Questions concerning the legal certification of documents
What is a legal certification?
A legal certification is a stamp displaying the official note that the above/foregoing/succeeding document is a true (photo)copy of the original. It serves to ascertain the authenticity of educational credentials.
What makes up a legal certification?
- the note certifying a document as a true copy
- the official stamp/seal of the certifying authority
- the official signature of the certifying person
Never send a copy of the certified copy!
Who is authorised to issue a certified copy?
Copies may be certified by any public authority entitled to use an official seal, e.g. municipality, town or county administration, notary public.
Please note that not all German citizen offices/city halls will legally certify copies of foreign educational credentials. Therefore, you should inquire beforehand whether your citizen office/city hall will certify such documents.
Devoid of the power to issue certified true copies are: corporations, translators, lawyers, public accountants, etc.
Is it possible to have copies legally certified abroad?
Yes, by a notary public or a public administration empowered accordingly. In case of doubt, an additional certification in Germany is needed.
Translators are not empowered to certify true copies.
Questions concerning translations
May I have my documents translated abroad?
Yes, by a publicly sworn translator. Please mind, if certified copies of a translation are required: The translator himself or herself is not empowered to issue certified copies.
Where can I find a sworn translator in Germany?
Click on: www.justiz-dolmetscher.de or ask the nearest court of justice.
Questions concerning the time needed to process the documents
How long does it take to issue a Statement of Comparability?
You will receive the Statement of Comparability three months after we received all the documents needed and after you have paid the fee.
Why might the time needed to process the documents differ from country to country?
Every year 110 specialists of the ZAB (Central Office for Foreign Education) answer 27.000 official requests concerning international qualifications, they issue 21.500 Statements of Comparability and answer 32.000 enquiries made by telephone. They also maintain and update the database "anabin".
Applicants come from over 100 countries. Changes in world politics might cause a sudden increase in questions concerning certain countries. Since our specialists need specific language skills and knowledge about the educational system of the relevant countries, it is not possible to simply distribute the reqests to other specialists.
Necessary steps that need to be taken in order to receive a Statement of Comparability:
- Please inform yourself about the documents which you need to hand in.
- Open the application form and fill it in.
- Send the form by clicking the button at the bottom of the page.
- IMPORTANT! A new page with a link to the filled in pdf document opens.
- Please click the link. Then print and save the pdf document.
- Sign the printed form.
- Please send the form together with the complete documentation by post to the address given on the front page of the application form.
- Following the receipt of your application, we will send you a notification of fees by email.
- Please transfer the fee within the given period. The processing of your application begins once the payment has been received.
- The specialist checks if your documents are complete and might request further documents from you.
- The Statement of Comparability will be sent to you together with the documents you handed in.
What should I do if I cannot hand in the requested missing documents right away?
Our applicants come from all over the world and some come from crisis areas and countries with armed conflicts. We therefore understand if a document cannot be submitted right away. If that is the case, please do the following:
- Please send us an e-mail.
- Give the reasons why you are unable to present the required documents.
- Let us know when you are planning to submit the documents.
- Inform us in time if you have to exceed this time limit.
- Make sure you contact us if you cannot hand in the documents at all.
In case we should not receive an answer concerning missing documents after several reminders, we will discard the application. You will then receive a 70% refund of the fee.
Will I get back the documents which I handed in?
We will send back your documents along with the Statement of Comparability. If you withdraw the application, we will not send the documents back. If the time for submitting the documents or paying the fee has expired and you have not contacted us, your application will be discarded along with the documents you handed in.