Kultusminister Konferenz

Schriftgröße ändern

Zum Ändern der Schriftgröße verwenden Sie bitte die Funktionalität Ihres Browsers. Die Tastatur-Kurzbefehle lauten folgendermaßen:

[Strg]-[+] Schrift vergrößern
[Strg]-[-] Schrift verkleinern
[Strg]-[0] Schriftgröße zurücksetzen


We are currently experiencing delays in the processing time of the Statement of Comparability.  More information

Fees for a Statement of Comparability

The fees for a Statement of Comparability are regulated by the Berlin fees act (BQPGebVO).

€200 – first application

The fee for your first application is €200.

€100 – each additional application

The fee for each additional Statement of Comparability is €100, for example

  • evaluation of an additional university degree
  • replacement of a Statement of Comparability that was already issued to you

What is the payment procedure?


Step 1
After we have received your application by post, we will email you a notification of fees. It provides all of the information regarding the payment: fee, payment deadline, and bank account information.

Step 2
The fee can only be paid by bank transfer to the ZAB bank account. Payment by credit card, PayPal etc. is not possible. We do not need a proof of payment.

Step 3
As soon as the payment has been credited to the ZAB bank account, we will email you a confirmation of payment and can begin processing your application.


Payment, financial support and cancellation


What do I have to keep in mind when making an international bank transfer?

Before you make a SWIFT transfer, we recommend that you contact your bank. Let them know the amount that has to be received in the ZAB bank account. Otherwise it is possible that the wrong amount is received, for instance if bank fees are deducted from the transferred amount. The processing of an application for a statement of comparability cannot begin until the ZAB has received the correct amount.

  • In the transfer form, specify that you will pay the bank fees yourself by entering "OUR" into the field "Details of Charges".
  • Before making the transfer, contact your bank with any questions.

SEPA transfers cost the same as domestic transfers.

Can someone else pay the fee for me?

Yes, the application fee can be paid by someone else if they state your name and your application's registration number as the reason for the payment. Otherwise, we cannot match the payment to your application. 

Can the payment deadline be extended?

The payment deadline is 3 weeks. In some cases, the ZAB can grant an extension. If you need an extension, please email us at zabservice@kmk.org. Please note that the processing of your application can only begin after we have received the fee.

Can I receive a cost estimate?

The ZAB does not issue cost estimates, since the fees for a Statement of Comparability are listed on this website.

Is it possible to pay by instalments?

A payment by instalments is not possible.

Can I be exempt from the fee?

An exemption from paying the fee is not possible. However, there are options to apply for financial support for your Statement of Comparability. For more information, see the following section "Financial Support."

Financial support

Can I receive financial support for my Statement of Comparability?

In general, you have to pay for your Statement of Comparability yourself. However, there are financial support options available.

In order to be considered for financial support, you have to apply for financial support before submitting your application for a Statement of Comparability.

You can find information on financial support on our website.

Financial support from a Jobcenter or the Federal Employment Agency
Are you a client at a Jobcenter or the Federal Employment Agency? Ask your advisor there if you qualify for financial support.

Financial support from the German government (recognition grant)
If you want to apply for a recognition grant, you have to file an application. Your local IQ-Netzwerk counseling office will assist you. For more information see the website Recognition in Germany and the Recognition Grant Flyer (available in German).

How do I complete the Jobcenter's declaration of assignment form (Abtretungserklärung)?

If you have received a declaration of assignment form (Abtretungserklärung) from your Jobcenter, you have to fill in the form yourself before you return it to the Jobcenter. Please

  • wait until you receive the ZAB's notification of fees,
  • add the ZAB's bank account information to the declaration of assignment form, and
  • submit the signed form to your Jobcenter.

Costs for a cancellation

How much are the fees for a cancellation?

If the ZAB cancels your application or if you cancel it yourself, you may still have to pay part of the fee. The ZAB is legally bound to charge up to 50% of the total fee in case of a cancellation (§3 BQPGebVO). The rest of your fee will be refunded. The refund can take up to 6 weeks.

If you cancel your application yourself

How much of the fee you have to pay depends on the processing status of your application.

  • The fee has been paid, but the review of the documents has not yet started: 20%
  • The review of the documents has already started: 30%
  • The review has started and additional documents have been requested: 40%
  • The Statement of Comparability has already been completed: 50%

If you want to cancel your application, email us at zabservice@kmk.org.

If the ZAB cancels your application

The ZAB can cancel your application, for instance if your university or your degree course were not recognized at the time you graduated or if you do not submit documents that were requested by the ZAB. You will be charged up to 40% of the fee.

Which bank account will the refund be transferred to?

We will use the bank account we received the fee payment from. If we need additional information to transfer the refund, we will contact you by email. If you want us to use a different bank account, please contact us by email.

Important information for international refunds

Banks charge fees for SWIFT payments and deduct these fees from the transferred amount. SEPA payments cost the same as domestic transfers. Therefore, if possible, let us know a bank account within the SEPA region we can transfer your refund to. Please contact your bank in case of questions.

Do you have any questions?

Please email us at zabservice@kmk.org.
If you have questions regarding an existing application, please state the registration number in your email.

You can also contact us by phone.

Our support team looks forward to your message.